The Institute's Health & Wellness Consumer Segmentation Identifies Five Distinct Segments within the U.S. General Population
WELL BEINGS 30%
The most health proactive segment; they are early adopters and influencers who continually set the bar higher regarding their health.
- Market leaders & Influencers
- Use many health modalities
- Highest organic usage
- Most Green
- Use some supplements
FOOD ACTIVES 10%
Highly oriented toward more natural means of maintaining their health and take personal responsibility through weight maintenance, exercise and choice of naturally nutritious foods.
- Mainstream healthy
- Take variety of supplements
- Basics, balance and control
- Least eco-friendly
- Desire inherently healthy foods
HEALTH & WELLNESS
22 Years of Consumer Trending
Understandings, Attitudes & Behaviors
5 Distinct Segments
Across All Generations Including
Millennials & Boomers.
MAGIC BULLETS 23%
High condition managers searching for a "magic bullet" to help manage their health. They have high belief in the value of supplements for health and higher usage of supplements — less concern with foods.
- Lack commitment to healthy lifestyle
- Weight managers
- Skew Boomer/Senior, lower income
- Least likely to exercise
- Health managers vs. preventers
FENCE SITTERS 24%
'Health' strivers and oftentimes exhibit contradiction between their attitudes and their behaviors; somewhat price-sensitive, possibly due to a higher likelihood of having children and are driven by the "family" diet.
- 'Wannabe' healthy
- Stressed out, want help and control
- Active weigh, loss
- More health kicks but no clear goals
EAT, DRINK & BE MERRYS 13%
Least concerned about health and healthy eating and least knowledgeable about health-related benefits. They know they should eat healthier --- but oftentimes don't and are the most focused on taste.
- Least health active
- Unconcerned about prevention
- Least about to be the primary grocery shopper